We always tend to think that in order to enhance our wardrobe or update our look, we have to spend lots of money or buy really cheap clothes. That is absolutely false. Really, all you have to do is make minor adjustments to your own clothes and accessories. If there is a need to make purchases, you will have to learn to shop smart and have a plan in place before you go on your shopping trip.
Time Required: Taking a wardrobe assessment should only take a day; adding good pieces to a wardrobe takes time.
- Take an assessment of your existing wardrobe. Your wardrobe should have at least the following basic easy pieces: a little black dress, a white blouse, a neutral cardigan, a knee-length skirt, black dress pants, a pair of jeans, a solid color tee shirt, a solid color turtleneck, a jacket, a pair of heels, a pair of boots, a pair of dress flats, a pair of casual flats, and a basic handbag. This list is the foundation to any good wardrobe. Typically, a woman can mix & match these items to create outfits for any occasion without spending a lot of money to buy new clothes. Make sure you have these items in your wardrobe.
- Take advantage of “end of season” sales. Stores are practically giving things away at the end of each season to make room for the next season’s goods. You can find out about these sales by joining a store’s mailing list. Typically, a store will start spring sales in March and have clearance in April. July is prime time for summer sales to start, running straight through August in clearance mode. Fall sales will start in September through October. Winter sales will start directly after Thanksgiving. Sales will continue through the Holiday season and clearance starts the day after Christmas through January.
- Shop at consignment shops or other secondhand stores for brand names. Some of these stores may have frequent shopper cards to aid you in your shopping. You can also take your old clothes to the consignment shops and hopefully get money back to help you make minor updates to your existing wardrobe.
- Another easy way to update your wardrobe is to use trendy accessories. Inexpensive, trend-right jewelry and shoes can totally enhance your look without breaking your budget.
- Mix & match to create new outfit combos. If you always tend to wear the same outfits, try taking these few easy pieces to mix and match for great style, for example: tailored black pants, black sheath dress, pretty cardigan with feminine details, colorful blouse and a great tailored jacket. You can easily mix & match these few key pieces to create different outfits.
- Recreate your jewelry. For example, take your long necklaces and double them up. Then tie a pretty ribbon on the ends, creating a newer, chunkier version of your old necklace. This will instantly jazz up your outfit.
- Change your handbag. You can easily visit your nearest bag repair shop and have them take off your current strap or handle and replace with another type. Doing so will have minimal expense.
- Understand your budget. Just because something’s on sale does not mean you have to buy it. Save your money. However, if you have to buy a pricey item, get your money’s worth by investing in a classic shape and color. This way you can get more than a season’s wear out of it.